Del has always cooked our holiday feasts! The kitchen becomes his domain bright and early every Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I get to just enjoy his delicious hams and turkeys. As much as I love his hams, his turkey is worth drooling over. I finally convinced him to let me share with you all how to make the perfect Thanksgiving Turkey. It’s not difficult, but he takes his time cooking it.
Make the Perfect Turkey
- 20-22 lb Turkey
- 6 Heaping Tablespoons of Mayo
- 4 sticks of butter
- A bottle of honey
- A preheated oven at 325 degrees.
- You need to clean out the guts of your turkey first and clean it.
- Then you smoother it with Mayo all over including under the skin.
- Once that is done, put in sticks of butter on each side right where you see my hands in the image above.
- Then put 2 sticks of butter in the area where you took the guts out of.
- Then put it in the preheated oven and let it cook covered for 10-11 hours (depending on the size. The general rule is 15 lbs per pound of turkey.)
- NOTE: After the first hour, I take it out and take the melted butter in the pan and drizzle it across the entire turkey.
- Then I do that again every two hours. About three hours before it’s done, I take an entire bottle of honey and squeeze it all over the turkey.
How do you make your turkeys?