Are you tired of losing the family games of Scrabble? If so, it’s time to get ahead of the game and make sure you stop finishing last. With that being said, below, we are going to take a look at some tips you can follow to ensure you improve your Scrabble game.
- Learn ‘Q’ words that don’t need a ‘U’ – A lot of ‘q’ words feature a ‘qu’ at the start. This means that unless you have a ‘u’ you’re going to struggle to make a word. This is why it pays to do some research regarding words that feature a ‘q’ yet don’t require a ‘u’, as ‘q’ is the highest scoring scrabble tile alongside the ‘z’. There are some options here, yet they’re unusual, so you will need to remember them. Examples include qwerty, qi, qabala, and qanat.
- Use the letter ‘s’ wisely – When it comes to your family game of Scrabble, one way you can really improve your efforts is by using the letter ‘S’ wisely. This letter can be used on an existing word on the board to pluralize it, creating a brand new word at the same time. This means that you can score a lot of points with just one letter. However, you need to make sure you use your letter ‘S’ wisely because there are only four of these letters in the game. Make sure you’re going to get at least ten points in order to make this worth your while.
- Plan to head to the hotspots on the board – It is also important to consider where you are placing your tiles. This is something that a lot of people do not really think about. However, it is certainly advisable to plan your game so that you can start moving toward the ‘hot spots.’ These are the bonus squares that you have on your Scrabble board. If you execute a triple word square effectively, you will be able to send your score right into the triple digits.
- Look for hooks – Hooks are single letters that you can use in order to turn an existing word into a brand new one. For example, you can turn host into ghost or lush into blush.
- Use a word unscrambler – This last suggestion may involve a little bit of cheating but we won’t tell if you don’t! If you find yourself getting behind and feeling a bit frustrated, why not use this word unscrambler? You can enter the letters that you have available, and it will give you the best word to use. It’s basically going to do all of the hard work for you. A great little tool to use when you’re really struggling!
As you can see, there are a number of different steps that you can take if you want to get ahead of the game and make sure you succeed at Scrabble. We are sure that you will notice a big difference next time you go to play scrabble. Good luck!