This year our seasons have come upon us far quicker than they have in prior years. Plus, as I was driving around town, I noticed that my favorite fall trees have lost their beautiful fall leaves extremely early this year. I’ve been noticing this trend with each passing year that our seasons are not changing the way they have when I was growing up. We’ve already told you how to get your home ready for winter, but that’s only the first step to preparing for a winter storm. You need to ensure that you have all of the necessary items to get through a winter storm.
Checklist for Preparing for a Winter Storm
- Food– Make sure your home is stocked with food that can be eaten without electricity needed.
- Water– Ensure that you have several jugs of fresh, clean water to use.
- Candles – Candles are great for decorations and creating a romantic setting, but candles by Koch can also be used to help everyone function when there is no electricity.
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00DP4XBGI” locale=”US” tag=”tidbitofexp-20″]Blankets[/easyazon_link]– Make sure you have extra thick blankets on hand to cuddle under.
- Board games – Board games are what helped keep us sane while we were dealing with days on end with no electricity.
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B004JZYJTA” locale=”US” tag=”tidbitofexp-20″]Flashlights[/easyazon_link] – You can never have too many of these on hand.
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00MNV8E0C” locale=”US” tag=”tidbitofexp-20″]Batteries[/easyazon_link]– It’s best to have batteries of all kinds available to replace any that may go out.
- Clothing– Make sure you have at least three days’ worth of warm clothes to use.
- Medicine– Ensure that you have any necessary medicines available to get you through a week.
- Extra Cell Phone Batteries– This one isn’t quite as easy to come by, but it’s worth its weight in gold to have it.
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00LPQUWPG” locale=”US” tag=”tidbitofexp-20″]First Aid Kit[/easyazon_link] – This is truly worth having because people tend to get hurt when they can’t easily see where they are going.
- A Whole lot of love– I do declare if you’re stuck curled up in a small room with all of your family for any extended period of time emotions run high both on the positive and the negative. So ensure, everyone is focused on loving one another throughout the storm.
Those are the basic things I feel you truly need to be prepared for a winter storm. If you have a generator, like we do, then handling a storm is certainly a lot easier to deal with. However, even they only last so long.
What would you add to this list?