Have you ever heard of golden milk before? If not, that’s all about to change. Golden milk is a warming and comforting drink that holds an earthy flavour. Whether you fancy trying a new morning brew or just want to jump on the golden milk bandwagon, we’re here to take you through it in just ten minutes.
What Is Golden Milk?
Golden milk is a traditional drink that first originated in India. Also referred to as turmeric milk, it contains a simple blend of ground turmeric and hot milk, amongst a few other spices for taste.
While the “health benefits” associated with golden milk are currently being researched, a lot of people like how it makes them feel (as well as how it tastes, of course!).
What Is Turmeric?
So – what is turmeric and what’s so great about it, exactly? Turmeric has been used for thousands of years for both its flavour and medicinal properties. It is most commonly used in curries to add a distinctive flavour and golden colour.
Recent research has also shown that turmeric helps to support healthy digestion. This is why many people choose to take turmeric supplements , but is also why many people choose to drink golden milk!
How To Make Golden Milk
Now that you know a bit about the history of golden milk, let’s get to work on making it. Don’t worry – this won’t take any longer than ten minutes and only contains a small handful of different ingredients!
- 1 ½ cup of milk (milk alternatives work well too!)
- 1 ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Add all of the above ingredients into a small saucepan.
- Once in the saucepan, start whisking the ingredients together over a medium heat. Continue this for about four minutes until the mixture is hot to touch (but not boiling!).
- After four minutes, turn off the heat and give the mixture a taste test. Decide whether it is fine how it is or whether it needs some more spice.
- When you are happy with the taste, serve it into your favourite mugs. You can store the remaining mixture in the fridge for a few days, but it’ll definitely taste better when fresh!
Although not the most popular drink around, golden milk is something that everyone needs to try. We personally think it tastes best during the cold winter months, but just like a morning coffee, it will kick start any day in the right way.
Remember that if you don’t like the taste the first time round, simply make some tweaks to the proportion of spices used next time. There’s no right or wrong way to make golden milk, just as long as it contains the all-important ingredient, turmeric!