Del has always cooked our holiday feasts! The kitchen becomes his domain bright and early every Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I get to just enjoy his delicious hams and turkeys. As much as I love his hams, his turkey is worth drooling over. I finally convinced him to let me share with you all how to make the perfect Thanksgiving Turkey. It’s not difficult, but he takes his time cooking it.
- 20-22 lb Turkey
- 6 Heaping Tablespoons of Mayo
- 4 sticks of butter
- A bottle of honey
- A preheated oven at 325 degrees.
- You need to clean out the guts of your turkey first and clean it.
- Then you smoother it with Mayo all over including under the skin. [img src=”https://www.tidbitsofexperience.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Make-the-Perfect-Thanksgiving-Turkey-Mayo.jpg” width=”730″ height=”548″ class=”aligncenter size-full” title=”Make the Perfect Thanksgiving Turkey” alt=”Make the Perfect Thanksgiving Turkey”]
- Once that is done, put in a sticks of butter on each side right where you see my hands in the image above.
- Then put 2 sticks of butter in the area where you took the guts out of.
- Then put it in the preheated oven and let it cook covered for 10-11 hours (depending on the size. The general rule is 15 lbs per pound of turkey.)
- NOTE: After the first hour, I take it out and take the melted butter in the pan and drizzle it across the entire turkey.
- Then I do that again every two hours. About three hours before it’s done, I take an entire bottle of honey and squeeze it all over the turkey.
- [cap align=”alignleft” width=”735″][img src=”https://www.tidbitsofexperience.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Make-the-Perfect-Thanksgiving-Turkey-1.jpg” width=”735″ height=”1102″ class=” size-full” title=”Make the Perfect Thanksgiving Turkey turkey recipes, turkey recipes for dinner, turkey recipes for Thanksgiving” alt=”Make the Perfect Thanksgiving Turkey turkey recipes, turkey recipes for dinner, turkey recipes for Thanksgiving”]Pin this so you can give it a try the next time you make a turkey.[/cap]
I hope this helps you with finding the perfect turkey Thanksgiving recipe. It has managed to keep us all very happy. I am utterly grateful that Del does the cooking during the holidays.
How do you make your turkeys on Thanksgiving?