Del has always cooked our holiday feasts! The kitchen becomes his domain bright and early every Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I get to just enjoy his delicious hams and turkeys. As much as I love his hams, his turkey is worth drooling over. I finally convinced him to let me share with you all how to make the perfect Thanksgiving Turkey. It’s not difficult, but he takes his time cooking it.Pin this so you can give it a try the next time you make a turkey.
- 20-22 lb Turkey
- 6 Heaping Tablespoons of Mayo
- 4 sticks of butter
- A bottle of honey
- A preheated oven at 325 degrees.
- You need to clean out the guts of your turkey first and clean it.
- Then you smoother it with Mayo all over including under the skin. [img src=”https://www.tidbitsofexperience.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Make-the-Perfect-Thanksgiving-Turkey-Mayo.jpg” width=”730″ height=”548″ class=”aligncenter size-full” title=”Make the Perfect Thanksgiving Turkey” alt=”Make the Perfect Thanksgiving Turkey”]
- Once that is done, put in a sticks of butter on each side right where you see my hands in the image above.
- Then put 2 sticks of butter in the area where you took the guts out of.
- Then put it in the preheated oven and let it cook covered for 10-11 hours (depending on the size. The general rule is 15 lbs per pound of turkey.)
- NOTE: After the first hour, I take it out and take the melted butter in the pan and drizzle it across the entire turkey.
- Then I do that again every two hours. About three hours before it’s done, I take an entire bottle of honey and squeeze it all over the turkey.
- [cap align=”alignleft” width=”735″][img src=”https://www.tidbitsofexperience.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Make-the-Perfect-Thanksgiving-Turkey-1.jpg” width=”735″ height=”1102″ class=” size-full” title=”Make the Perfect Thanksgiving Turkey turkey recipes, turkey recipes for dinner, turkey recipes for Thanksgiving” alt=”Make the Perfect Thanksgiving Turkey turkey recipes, turkey recipes for dinner, turkey recipes for Thanksgiving”]Pin this so you can give it a try the next time you make a turkey.[/cap]
I hope this helps you with finding the perfect turkey Thanksgiving recipe. It has managed to keep us all very happy. I am utterly grateful that Del does the cooking during the holidays.
How do you make your turkeys on Thanksgiving?